By contacting us through the Contact Us form, you agree with all terms of this Privacy Statement.
The processing of personal data concerns a list of names, organisation names and types, e-mail addresses and user feedback collected on our website as well as through the EMODnet thematic portals.
This processing is managed by the EMODnet Secretariat in relation with the European Marine Observation and Data Network (EMODnet) initiative financed by the European Union under Regulation (EU) No 508;2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 May 2014 on the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund.
As this processing collects and further processes personal data, the Data Protection Directive (951461EC) and the ePrivacy directive (2002/58JEC, as revised by 2009/136/EC), is applicable. From 25 May 2018 onwards, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ((EU) 2016/679) will apply.
2. What personal information do we collect, for what purpose and through which technical means?
We collect personal data:
- for personalisation of access to the system (registration) and provision of information – personal data collected includes: e-mail address, password, chosen fields of interest;
- for information and assistance – the feedback stored in the functional mailboxes where the questions or feedback are sent can contain, apart from the e-mail address, the first name, surname, office address, phone, fax, organisation or institution to which the requester belongs. This feedback will be maintained in a feedback register;
- if you participate in on-line surveys – the personal data collected depends on the type of survey, and may in some cases contain full name, e-mail address, country, organisation name and type, telephone number and/or Skype name. Otherwise, only information on country and organisation type will be collected;
- if you subscribe to our newsletter – only the e-mail address is collected.
Personal data are collected and processed in order to communicate with the data subjects about the EMODnet activities.
Your data are collected to enable:
- the personalisation of your access to the system;
- the EMODnet Secretariat to answer your enquiries and give you information concerning new developments and the use of the system;
- sharing of knowledge concerning the usage of the system;
- to analyse errors to improve the operation of the system.
We will also use the data to prepare statistics about the usage of the site so that we can understand how users interact with our site and improve our site and content, products or services that we provide through the side. For this, the data are anonymised (if applicable) and only the feedback or the results of the surveys (which can be anonymous by default depending on the type of survey) are used.
Collected personal data are treated according to the policy described in the above-mentioned Regulation. Data will be used only for the above purposes by EMODnet staff and their contractors (i.e. Directorate-General Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (DG-MARE)) and in order to improve the service.
The collected data will be registered/stored:
- in a database (hosted by the EMODnet Central Portal and thematic portals);
- in the contact/helpdesk mailboxes of each EMODnet portal and the EMODnet Secretariat.
Should you wish more information regarding the processing of personal data by the EMODnet portals, then we kindly refer you to the Privacy Statements of the EMODnet portal in question.
3. Who has access to your information and to whom is it disclosed?
Your collected data will be treated confidentially and used only by the EMODnet Secretariat and its contractors. No personal data is transmitted to parties, which are outside the recipients and the legal framework mentioned. The EMODnet initiative will not share personal data with third parties for direct marketing.
We only disclose anonymised information with Directorate-General Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (DG-MARE) for the purpose of demonstrating the type of user feedback and inquiries EMODnet receives and how EMODnet deals with these.
4. How do we protect and safeguard your information?
The collected personal data is stored on the servers of the EMODnet portals, processed and may also be forwarded by e-mail to the expert responsible for replying to the enquiry.
The EMODnet portals comply with the applicable legislation on the protection of personal data and the processing thereof, and more specifically with the ePrivacy Directive. We refer to their Privacy Statement for more information.
The EMODnet portals have put in place, and regularly reviews and updates, appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security, and correctly use the information.
5. How can you verify, modify or delete your information? Right to access and rectify, erasure and object.
As the data subject, you have the right to request a copy of your personal details at any time to check the accuracy of the information held and/or to correct or update this information. You may also ask your personal information to be deleted completely. Simply send us an e-mail at email@example.com with your request, and we will act and reply you as soon as possible.
At all times, the data subject has the chance to personally unsubscribe from the newsletter – a link is provided in every newsletter.
You have the right to object at any time of processing of your personal data. Please note that all the data you provide through the Contact Us feedback form, will only be used as described in section 2. If you would like to apply your right to object, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Likewise, you can also contact the Privacy Commission in case of an objection.
6. How long do we keep your data?
Your personal data is kept as long as follow-up actions linked to the above-mentioned purpose are necessary. All personal data will be deleted at the end of the EMODnet initiative.
From time to time, we will update our Privacy Statement. Unless, and until, you object in writing by contacting us at email@example.com, all changes will apply to the existing information about you that EMODnet Secretariat already holds, and the personal information collected from the effective date of the revised Privacy Statement. Your use of our Site following the effective date of any revision will constitute your acceptance of the terms of the updated Privacy Statement.
8. Website operator and data controller
In case you have question, comment or object related to this Privacy Statement, or on your rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.